Monday 19 July 2010

The Joy of Lists...(no self-flagellation here!)

I am not going to batter myself for my 'failure' to post here for months - otherwise this will end up being something else that I feel bad about instead of being something to enjoy and somewhere to explore my erstwhile creativity-type stuff.
Not so long ago I would begin everyday with a list - writing down everything that I 'had' to do that day. It would always end up with more things to do than time in the day and I would pretty much always finish the day having failed...so positive and life-affirming...!
Since I stopped with the infernal list-making I have found that more gets done with less stress and considerably less hassle - strange but true.
I still write some lists, but generally only of the more 'official' things - like making appointments (and attending them), chasing up queries, bank stuff, school stuff - things so boring that I would forget them out of sheer apathy. No longer lists like:
1. Do laundry
2. Dry clothes
3. Put clothes away
*please note the 3-way breakdown of what could have been a one word task-I'm not daft it means I can get three ticks on my list and a lot more crossing off...*
4. Clean kitchen
5. Clean Bathroom
6.Clean Sitting-room
etc, etc, ad-boring-bloody-inifinitum...
hence the 'just bloody get on with it' component of this blog.
Having decried lists however, I am about to make one..
A List Of Things I Might Quite Like To If I Get Around To It - No Pressure Or Anything

1. Bake something I haven't baked before every week (there's nothing quite so convenient as a family to experiement on...)
2. Reclaim my weekends - not spend them catching up on housework just because there are people around to keep an eye on the smallest bear. Instead I shall follow my policy of benign neglect and keep letting him scribble on the wall (one bit of wall, hidden behind long curtains- which is why it took me so bloody long to find it. My son the vandal, so proud..so very proud) while I sort out the domestic disasters in the rest of the house.
Long list isn't it.

No comments: